Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gift Ideas for Dad, Continued

Okay, I've done some thinking, and here's a few of the gift ideas I've come up with for my dad:
  1. Video Greeting Card: You can read directions on eHow. I like it because it's personal and it lets me talk to my dad in a way that he can keep and view later if he wants. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm going to this weekend. I'll try to remember to write a post about how it goes.
  2. Personalized Map Coasters: This is a significant birthday, and my dad has lived a lot of places. These coasters are easy and useful. Here are directions. My hesitation comes from wondering if he'd want coasters. Maybe I can take the concept and modify it to a non-coaster item?
  3. Bonsai Tree: Sigh. I think this is just projection. It's me who wants a Bonsai tree after seeing all the varieties at the Bonsai Boy website. Still, we have similar interests, so maybe it would be a good decoration for his desk at work (some varieties don't need much if any natural sunlight).
  4. Personalized Marble Magnets: The appeal is that I already have the glue and magnets, so I can print off some pictures of family members and buy the flat marbles. I could even try mini 1" maps to modify the previous coaster idea. I like this because it could also be taken to work and stuck on his metal desk drawers for a reminder of all of us. You can find directions on the Not Martha website
Update: I actually wrote this post a few days ago and have since made my decision. . . Bonsai Tree for his birthday (with a video card if I can get it done in time; if not, it will be for Father's Day)! I called and talked it over with my mom, who thought he'd really like it but was worried about the stereotyped Bonsai that requires hours and hours of care. No problem, because I found a tree that doesn't want direct natural sunlight and isn't keen on water, either! Seriously, a tree that doesn't like sun or water? It's true, though. I found it at a shop online in their "Bonsai for Dummies" section. I don't really like the name, but what are you going to do? (Note: I am not affiliated with this store in any way, shape, or form.)

I'm also going shopping tomorrow for magnet supplies for a Father's Day gift. I'll let you know how it turns out in a week or so!

1 comment:

  1. that's a great idea! I'm sure your dad will love it, anything that you put so much love and thought into will mean a lot.
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...