Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Applesauce Cake

Just had to share a new recipe I tried for Applesauce Cake! I ended up having some plain yogurt hanging out in my fridge, which I do not care for, so I began an internet search for recipes that included plain yogurt. There are a ton! Anyway, the search was eventually narrowed down to this one, which you can find on the Taste of Home website.

The recipe also called for raisins, which I didn't have on hand, so I just left those out. I also couldn't find any unsweetened applesauce (is that the sort of thing you can't buy in stores and have to make yourself?), so I used Safeway's Chunky Original. I heaped the amount of both the yogurt and the applesauce, and the cake came out very moist.

Using the chunky applesauce worked great - the cake didn't have strong apple flavor at all, so the chunks gave it a little extra dimension. I did feel, though, that the clove taste was a little too strong. The next time I make it, I'll try halving it to let the other flavors come out more.

As you can see, I tried one in a square pan and a round one (both 8"), and topping them both with glaze.

I'm always collecting recipes from friends, but I don't often make the time to try them out - something I hope to remedy this summer. How often do you try new recipes?




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...