Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Social Media

I'm told that being involved in a hundred different social media sites will help my (very) small business, but the truth is, you can't spend all day online promoting on a hundred different sites. Pick a few that you can keep up with consistently and let the rest be. The most important thing to remember is that the sites you use are tools. Simply joining Facebook doesn't mean you'll automatically get 500 fans and lots of sales or business traffic. You have to use the tool to bring people to you, just like anything else. Because of that, make sure you really enjoy the few you choose to use.

There are tons of different social media sites - Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, Squidoo, Flickr, Pinterest, YouTube, and StumbleUpon are just a few of the most common.

(Click the pic to see where it came from)

Research what each site is for (posting pictures, connecting with people with similar interests, etc.) so that you can follow the rules. For example, if you join Pinterest and only Pin items or pictures from your own online shop, you'll likely get shut down for abusing the system. Some sites will allow active promoting of a business, others simply let you have your business website in your profile, so if people see things you've posted and like it, they can find the link and choose to see what else you do.

To conclude - I have to reiterate: enjoy what you're doing, or it's a waste of your time!

2 comments:

  1. It's true there is so much out there it can get quite overwhelming. I fell into that already someone would say this works the best so I joined then I joined and I joined. Actually I think my facebook was working the best because I actually had a few sales. But since I ventured into so much and spread myself to thin.....Nothing has helped with the sales!

    IF I oculd take beautiful pictures like yours then that would probably be the best help for me =)

    New follower from the Etsy blog team =)

    Arizona Girls
    Arizona Girls Face Book
    Arizona Girls blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arizona! I resisted for a long time, then joined a ton of things at once, and now I'm starting to filter. The sites I'm not interested in keeping up with or checking on at least a weekly basis I may end up deleting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...